Monday, October 27, 2008

The Lord's Tender Mercies

The background:
A few years ago Elder Bednar gave a conference talk titled "The Lord's Tender Mercies". This talk really touched my heart. I thought about it a few days ago, and felt prompted to read it again. So I printed it off the internet, read it, and it was fresh in my mind.

More background:
A few days ago, Ally lost a book. It was a book she had only had for a day and only read it once. She really wanted this book, looked EVERYWHERE for it, had us pray for her to find it during family prayer, and I even tried to help her find it. (Mom's magic finding finger rarely fails, but it did in this case.)

October 22nd, 2008:
After the girls left for school in the morning, I went out to take the chickens some kitchen scraps and found one of them dead. It looked it like it had been killed by an animal (racoon or skunk or something) in the night. I don't really know the chickens by name like Mike and Ally do, so I wasn't sure which one it was. It was one of the smaller of our three black and white ones, so I knew it was either Ally's chicken Holly (named after the fairy hero in the Artemis Fowl series) or Liz's chicken. These hens are more like pets than just egg providers. Ally collects the eggs and cares for them every day. Just the day before she and Liz were outside with Holly and Liz's chicken in their laps petting them and holding them. Ally will run and the whole flock will run behind her.

I told the girls when I brought them home from school about the chicken and that I didn't know which one it was. Ally said if it was Liz's chicken she was going to be really sad, but if it was her chicken she was going to be really, really sad. Al ran to the backyard. I followed her. When I got out there she was playing in the coop area. I asked her if she figured out which chicken it was, but she said "no" and ran to the other side of the coop. She picked up the remaining small black and white chicken. She could tell by the color of the legs that it was Liz's chicken. I went to hug her, but she ran away and curled up on the grass in the corner of the yard. I tried to get her to talk to me, but she ran to the other corner of the yard (the chickens all running after her) and curled up in a ball. So I just went inside and left her alone, wishing I could do something to help her, but knowing she would have to go through the pain of loosing a pet and a friend.

She came in with red puffy eyes about half an hour later. She still didn't want to talk to me, but I heard searching around in our book closet (a little closet under the stairs with book shelves and kids books). I was in the kitchen preparing dinner. She held a book around the corner of the wall, so I couldn't see her, just the book. It was the missing book! The one that had been missing for several days, the one we had prayed over, the one that we had both looked for at least five times in that very same bookshelf! I said, "Oh! Where was it??" She peeked around the corner, smiling through her tears, "In the bookshelf!"

I said, "Come here, I want to talk with you." We came into the living room together, I put my arm around her and said, "Ally, Heavenly Father knows you are in pain. He knows you lost a friend. And he knew if you found this book at this time, it would comfort you. It is one of the Lord's tender mercies in your life - a way He helps you and shows He loves you. It won't take away all the hurt, but it will help, and God knew it would help." We both had tears coming down our faces, her for chicken and me for the knowledge of the Lord's tender mercies in my daughter's life at a time when she really needed it. I couldn't help her pain, but He could.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it when this happens! And I love it that you taught Ally at the same time to recognize the Lord's hand in her life. Good job Mom!

Trishelle said...

Jen, that's a beautiful story. Watching Ally going through that must have been awful! Your insight is was so touching and so true!

You have the incredible talent for allowing experiences like that to help your girls grow spiritually. No doubt Ally will remember this in the future as a spiritually stretching moment...a moment she grew closer to her Heavenly Father.

I love you and miss you something fierce, my friend.

Polka Dots are underrated! Every time I use that platter, I think of you!

Stacey said...

wonderful story Jen, really great moment... :)

Troy and Bonnie Card said...

Hi , we're Cards too. I was visiting my Aunt Cathy Dover's Blog and she had a link to your blog. I thought you were my sister-n-law, Jen Card, from Eagle Mountain Utah....but apparently you aren't. Just wondering what the relation is to our family, or if there is even one. ??

the Cards
Monrovia, CA
(Cardfamily5.blogspot.com

Troy and Bonnie Card said...

Hi, we're Cards too. I was visiting my Ant Cathy Dove's blog and noticed a link to Jen Card. My sister-n-law is Jen Card from Eagle Mountain Utah. But this isn't her blog. :) Just wondering what relation you are to us...if any. Great blog site.

The Card Family
Bonnie , Troy and kids
cardfamily5.blogspot.com

Troy and Bonnie Card said...

Hi Jen,

This is Bonnie Card, responding to the comment you left on our blog. Yes, I'm LDS!! And quite proud. I married into the Card name as well, but I'm really into genealogy. We have friends who are also "Cards" whose relatives are from Canada. We did the genealogy and found a common relative. Maybe it's common on your side too? I'll look it up and get back with that name later. (My husband's Aunt is Cathy Dover...she's the one who has the link to your blog. Toodles. Bonnie

nanadover said...

Hi Jen,
This sweet post has really touched my heart! What a wonderful teaching moment for your precious little gal!

It would be so special to find a common link between the Card families in my life!

Love to you all!
Cathy