If all your friends were couponing, does that mean you have to coupon to??? Yes, apparently it does if they are getting all sorts of awesome deals and you are left paying $2.00 for tube a toothpaste instead of .50 cents! Or getting stuff for free... or actually getting money back!!! So this week I bought three Sunday papers and have been saving all the coupon books for several weeks. I was able to buy six boxes of ziplock bags and will actually get money back (after two $5.00 rebates, three coupons, and three double coupons at Albertsons). I also got free kitty treats and Tony's Pizzas for $3.00 each plus three free redbox movies... Life Cereal for $1.00 box, and Quaker Granola Bars for about .80 a box.
On the down side - it did take me several hours to figure out what I was doing. But hey, I'm new at this, it's only going to get easier. I also bought Toll House Cookie pre-made cookies for about .75 each package (Usually about $3). The nice thing is I can cook up just six in our little toaster oven and we can have warm cookies every night. The bad thing is... I can cook up just six in our little toaster oven and we can have warm cookies every night!!!! (I ate two tonight....) So - those are going in our freezer so I only make them for special occasions. I told myself when I started this that I would only buy stuff we normally eat, not junk food just because it's cheap!
It's a fun adventure - seeing how much I can save. Especially when our food bill is usually about $600 a month. I know - I like to cook! The other up side is I usually mostly shop at Walmart, but since I'm going into other stores I am able to buy other things that are on sale (like grapes at Freddies for 99 cents a lb.), or clearance meat at Safeway, because I am already there.
I'm trying to save money on groceries so I can buy new furniture!!!
Cousins!!!!!!!!
11 years ago

3 comments:
Sweet! You are a money saving master! Congrats on a successful start! I'm so happy to hear you got your bearings together and took the grocery store circuit by storm! You are my hero, my friend!!
Good for you Jen! Couponing works when you get the hang of it!
When we were buying our house in 1985, I was a stay at home mom and played the coupon game to stretch our $. When we were applying for financing for our house, the lender person asked if I did anything to add to the family finances. I told her that I saved money with coupons, but otherwise, I was to busy to hold an outside job. She asked if I could prove how much money I saved, so I pulled receipts out of my purse for the past three weeks, showing my $40 and $50 savings on groceries. She made copies of those receipts and that is what qualified us for our house!
I don't think the lenders would accept grocery receipts now days, but it sure worked when we needed it!
I didn't know you had a blog. I have been wanting to start the couponing too! I guess it really does save. It is just getting started that is tough. Way to go for you though.
Post a Comment