Hi Friends!
I just wanted to share some thoughts...
The visiting teaching lesson this month was on "Standing strong and immovable in the Faith" Sis. Beck commented on how we need to do the most essential things first. (She had a list of eight things, see this month's VT message in the Ensign). One of them was family scripture and prayer. We used to be good at this. Every night, no matter what, even on vacation, we would have scripture and prayer. We've read through the Book of Mormon three times as a family. Lately I have gotten lazy and half the time we'll just have prayer, because by the time I "get around to it" it's "too late" or I'm "too tired" so I just have prayer with the girls and send them to bed.
Know what is essential to me? Doing the dishes after dinner. Because I can see them all messy sitting there. And the leftovers would spoil. And what if someone stops by and see my mess. And I don't want to have to deal with it in the morning. So I almost always rally the forces after dinner and we all spend 15-20 minutes doing the dishes and putting the food away.
So what is really more essential, dinner dishes or family scripture reading? Well, that's obvious.
So it occurred to me, what if someone could walk into my house and look around and say, "Wow, you haven't had scriptures tonight, have you? What a mess!" That certainly would motivate me to read the scriptures :) So my new strategy whenever I am tempted to send the kids to bed without our family reading (like tonight!) is to think about the dishes. I wouldn't leave my dishes all over the table, because it obviously needs to be done. How much more needed is our family scripture time, even though it's not so outwardly apparent. It is absolutely vital to my childrens' spiritual nourishment, and I (and Mike) are the only ones who can give this to them, they won't get it anywhere else. How vital is that!
Next I need to work on personal prayers with them. Should I still be helping kids at 7 (almost 8) and 10 say their prayers at night? I remind them now and then, but don't really follow up. I am hoping they follow my example, as they see me praying in the evening, but most of the time they are already in bed by the time I pray.
This parenting thing is exhausting!
Speaking of that, Katie and Liz are exhausting me with plans for the 8th birthday party. The theme keeps changing. Right now it's a music party where they play the piano and sing to their guests, LOL. And I'm making a butterfly and a ladybug cake, I've been informed.
Cousins!!!!!!!!
11 years ago

5 comments:
Jen, I love your analogy! What do I do if I have a habit of putting off the dishes too? lol I guess I really am a mess.
I don't know why we make the simple things like scriptures and prayers so hard. Especially when I look at my day and I can see where I wasisted 20 or 30 minutes doing nothing important.
Thanks for the food for thought.
Good thoughts on dishes and prayer!
Here's one on your kids. The whole goal of this parenting thing is to turn them into independent adults. I think your instinct is right on. By baptism age I feel like it's time for my kids to start taking some responsability for their spiritual growth. I remind them, I help them make little prayer rocks to go under their pillows, I make sure they see me doing it. But at the end of the day I say "Remember to say your prayers, I love you!" to Sara and Ethan on my way out their door. The rest is up to them.
I was actually just prompted the other morning to encourage Sara to stay close to the spirit because of all the crap she sees each day and she said "Mom, lately I haven't been saying my prayers at night. I really feel a difference when I don't do that. Thanks for the reminder". How grateful I am for the spirit!!
Thanks for the helpful hint on training my brain!! We often put off scripture study and prayer for stupid reasons. I especially think it's easy to put off when you have children that really don't understand, but, no excuses! right?!
So I guess as far as prayer for you kids... I kind of agree with the last comment. If you are having family prayer just before bed, reminding them as they head to bed to say their own prayers is giving them some accountability BUT you're still enforcing the need for prayer in their brains by saying family prayers as well. This way if they decide not to pray on their own, though disappointing, they are still having some communication with their Heavenly Father during family prayer. (Sorry for the long post :)
-Alyssa
Jen, I love your thoughts! Your kids are very blessed to have such a wise mom.
Jen, I love your thoughts! Your kids are very blessed to have such a wise mom!
Post a Comment